AGHABOG, a parish, in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (W.) from Newbliss, on the road from Clones to Ballybay; containing 7442 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,543 statute acres, of which 222 are covered with water, and 10,484 are arable and pasture land, applotted under the tithe act; there are also from 16 to 20 acres of woodland, and about 243 of bog. The soil is a rich but shallow loam on a deep, stiff, and retentive clay, which renders it wet unless drained and manured with lime and marl, but it produces naturally an abundant herbage: the inhabitants are nearly all engaged in the linen manufacture.
Within the limits of the parish are five lakes, of which that near Leysborough demesne is the largest. Drumbrain is the neat residence of T. Phillips, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £331. 3. 3.The church is a plain edifice, built in 1775, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits gave £390. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 40 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Killeevan: the chapel is a neat modern building, situated on the townland of Lathnamard. At Drumkeen there is a Presbyterian meeting-house, in connection with the Seceding Synod, and of the second class. There are seven public and two private schools in the parish. James Woodwright, Esq., of Gola, bequeathed £10 per ann. for the poor. =====================
CLONES, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of CLONKELLY, county of FERMANAGH, and partly in the baronies of MONAGHAN and DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (W. S. W.) from Monaghan, and 62 (N. W. by N.) from Dublin; containing 22,254 inhabitants. The ancient name of this place was Cluan Innis, "the Island of Retreat," it having formerly been nearly surrounded by water; and more recently it was called Cloanish or Clounish.
An abbey, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, was founded here in the early part of the 6th century by St. Tigernach or Tierney, who, becoming Bishop of Clogher, removed that see to Clones, where he died of the plague in 550. The abbot was the Primus Abbas, or first mitred abbot of Ireland. In 836, the abbey was burnt; and in 929, Ceanfoile, coharb of Clones and Clogher, died here. The abbey was destroyed by fire in 1095, and, in 1184, the abbot Gilla Christ O'Macturan was elected Bishop of Clogher. In 1207, Hugh de Lacy destroyed the abbey and town; but five years after they were rebuilt by the English, who also erected a castle here. In 1316, and again in 1504, the abbot of Clones was elected Bishop of Clogher. In 1486 died the abbot Philip Mac Mahon, and, in 1502, the abbot James Mac Mahon both relations of the Lords of Ergal. The abbey was dissolved by act of Hen. VIII., and in the 29th of Elizabeth an inquisition was taken of its possessions.
The manor of this abbey is still called " St. Tierney," and at the suppression was granted, together with the abbey, to Sir Henry Duke. The corbeship or cormorbanship, of Clones seems to have been held by the Sept of Mac Mahon, the head of which, during the rebellion in Queen Elizabeth's reign, procured from the pope a grant of it for his eldest son, who was then a boy, with one of whose daughters it was conveyed in marriage to Sir Francis Rushe, whose daughter Elinor, in 1629, again conveyed it in marriage to Sir Robt. Loftus, eldest son of Adam, Lord Loftus, Primate and Chancellor of Ireland, and first Chancellor of Trinity College, Dublin.
In 1640, Sir Robert and his son Henry died, and the manor came to Anne, only daughter of the former, who married the Hon. Richard Lennard Barrett, whose son, Dacre Barrett, Esq., represented the county of Monaghan in the Irish parliament in 1692: it has since continued in this family, and is now the estate of Sir Thomas Barrett Lennard, Bart.
In the settlement of Ulster, to assimilate the Irish to the English church, corbeships were abolished, and their possessions, commonly called termon lands, granted to the bishops. At the time of the dissolution of monasteries, there were three ecclesiastical estates belonging to Clones; viz., the abbey lands now the property of Sir T. B. Lennard, which are tithe-free; the estate of the great church of Clones, belonging to the same proprietor, which pays one-third of the tithes to the incumbent; and the lands of the corbe, or the termon lands, the property of the Bishoy of Clogher, which pay the entire tithes to the incumbent.
The town is situated on the road from Monaghan to Belturbet, and contains 429 houses, of which those recently erected are slated, and the more ancient are thatched. There is a brewery in the town; and at Stonebridge is an extensive foundry for spades, ploughs, and other agricultural implements, established about ten years since; also large flour mills at Analoar, on the river Finn.
The Agricultural and Commercial Bank has a branch establishment in the town. A yarn market is held on Thursday, at which linen cloth to the value of £150 is sold weekly; and there is a fair on the last Thursday in each month, for cattle, pigs, horses, &c., which is well supplied; and a fair is held at Roslea, In this parish, on the 8th of each month. The marketplace of Clones is of a triangular form, with a market-house in it, and a pump, also a very ancient stone cross, the shaft of which is about 12 feet high; it stands at the top of a flight of steps, and both the shaft and top are ornamented with figures in relief; the upper part is circular, and the whole has a very antique appearance. Here is a chief constabulary police station. A manorial court, called " St. Tierney's Manor Court," is held in the town monthly by the seneschal, for the recovery of debts under £2; and petty sessions are held every alternate Friday. Courts are also held in the parish for the manors of Roslea and Shannick.
The parish is of great extent, comprising, according to the Ordnance Survey, 42,877 statute acres, of which 27,581 are in Fermanagh, and 15,296 in Monaghan. About one-twentieth of the land is bog, 616 acres are water, and the mountainous tracts afford good pasture. Agriculture is in an improved state, and much of the land is of a superior quality; tillage is conducted on an extensive scale. Limestone of good quality is found in various places, and on the summit of Carnmore mountain is a quarry of fine white freestone, which is much used for building. A vein of coal was found near this mountain, but is not worked. That part of the parish which is in Dartry barony has no fewer than 32 lakes, of which, Loughs Oonagh, Camm, and Lisnaroe, and the lake near Smithsborough, are the largest. In that part of it which is in the barony of Monaghan is an extensive lake, near Watts-bridge, besides five smaller lakes, the waters of which unite in their course towards Newbliss.
The principal seats are Summerhill, of the Rev. J. Richardson; Lisnaroe, of Nicholas Ellis, Esq.; Lough Oonagh, of Mrs. Murray; Spring Grove, of E. Madden, Esq.; Johnstown, of C. P. Irvine, Esq.; Scottsborough, of W. Scott, Esq.; Island Cottage, of Captain Ross; Carrowbarrow, of the Rev. M. F. Dudgeon; and the glebe house, of the Very Rev. H. Roper, rector of the parish, and Dean of Clonmacnois.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of Sir T. B. Lennard, Bart.: the tithes amount to £950. 3. 12. The glebe house was rebuilt in 18l6, and towards defraying the expense, a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 were granted by the same Board: the glebe comprises 700 acres. The parochial or mother church stands on the hill of Clones, at the upper end of the market-place, and has a handsome steeple, with a clock and bell: it was built at an expense of about £3500, of which £1022 was a loan and £900 a gift, in 1822, from the late Board of First Fruits.
There are also two chapels of ease on the townlands of Clough and Aughadrumsee; the former was built by a loan of £1015 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828; to the repairs of the latter the Ecclesiastical Commissioners lately granted £136. 2. 11. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms two benefices Clones East and Clones West: there are chapels at Clones and Drumswords for the former, and at Roslea and Magherarney for the latter; the chapel at Roslea is a spacious building, erected in 1834, with a bell tower and beautiful altar. There is a Presbyterian meeting-house at Stonebridge, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and of the third class: at Smithsborough is one of the second class, connected with the Seceding Synod; and there are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
There are male and female parochial schools at Cluigh, also schools at Clones, Carra- street, Smithsborough, Rossbrick, Larg, Granshaw, Magherarney, Aughnashalvey, Bruskena, Greaghawarren, Deer-Park, Clonkeen, Clononacken, Ahadrumsee, Clones, Spring-grove, Magheravilly, Gortnawing, Patenbar, and Knockavaddy. Each of these schools is aided by subscriptions, and at Salloo is one supported by J. Whittsit, Esq. The whole afford instruction to about 1200 boys and 7OO girls; and in 11 private schools are about 180 boys and 90 girls, besides a considerable number in 12 Sunday schools. There are two dispensaries, one at Clones, the other near Roslea; a savings bank, the deposits in which, belonging to 133 depositors, amounted to £3241. 9. 6. on the 20th of November, 1835: and a charitable loan fund.
On the south side of the town are the ruins of the ancient abbey to which it owes its early fame, and through which the road from Cootehill now passes. The walls of a small chapel still remain on one side of the road, and are built of square hewn freestone on the outside, and of limestone within; it is encompassed by an ancient burial-ground, enclosed by a strong wall. On the other side of the road is another burial-ground, similarly enclosed, in which are many curiously deco- rated tombstones, and where there is yet standing one of the ancient round towers. The walls of this tower are four feet thick, and very rough on the outside, but composed of smooth limestone within. The internal diameter is 10 feet, and there are resting-places for the joists of five successive floors. The thickness of the walls diminishes towards the top, and there is a door-way about four feet above the ground; at the top were large embrasures. On the surface, in this burial-ground, is a large stone coffin: the lid is very heavy, and of an angular shape, like the roof of a house, with two small pillars rising from the ends, and an ancient inscription on each side, but so much defaced as to be illegible. It is supposed to be the coffin of a Mac Mahon. Near these cemeteries is an extensive artificial mound of earth very steep and rather difficult of access, being on the summit of a considerable hill. In the parish are two wells, much celebrated among the peasantry for curing the jaundice; one, about three miles from Clones, on the road leading to Monaghan, is called the Grailabuy Well; the other, about a mile from Clones, on the road to Enniskillen, is called Clintiveran Jaundice Well. Near the fort is an excellent spring, called Tubber Tierney.============================
CLONTIBRET, a parish, in the barony of CREMORNE, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, on the confines of the county of Armagh, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Castle-Blayney, on the road to Monaghan; 63 feet containing 15,941 inhabitants, and comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 26,553 statute acres, of which 334 are part of Mucknoe lake, 198 are in small loughs, 3920 bog, and the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of rough rocky pasture, good arable land, and all under tillage. Agriculture is improving; and the bog affords abundance of good fuel. Grauwacke slate is found in abundance, and is quarried for building and for repairing the roads. A mine of antimony was discovered on Lord Middleton's property, and was worked for some time, but not paying, it was discontinued. A lead mine has been recently opened in Carriganure, on the estate of E. Lucas, Esq. M.P., of Castleshane; and lead ore is also found in the townland of Killicrum. Millmount, the handsome residence of A. Swanzy, Esq. and Rockfield House, of H. Swanzy, Esq., are within the parish.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, constituting the corps of the arch deaconry of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £800, and the gross revenue of the dignity, including tithes, glebe, and lands, is returned at £852. The glebe house was erected in 1752, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 40 acres, besides which the lands of the archdeaconry, called the "Archdeacon s Hill," situated in the parish of Clogher, contain 9 ac. let on lease at a rent of £16 per annum.
The church is a plain old structure, with an ancient square tower surmounted by a spire; it is in a very dilapidated condition, and it is in contemplation to erect a new church. Divine service is also occasionally performed in a school-house at the southern extremity of the parish. in the R. C. divisions, part of the parish is included in the union or district of Mucknoe or Macrey, and the remainder forms a district of itself; the chapel is at Anyallow. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and also one in connection with the Seceding Synod on the confines of the parish; and there is also a place of worship for Primitive Wesleyan Methodists. There are parochial and other schools aided by private subscription; in which about 520 children are instructed; and there are two pay schools, in which are about 120 children. There is a dispensary at Castleshane, close to the parish, in the benefits of which it partakes. Charitable donations to the amount of £500, and £15 per ann., have been bequeathed by various benefactors for the relief of the poor.
Much pine or fir, with the roots frequently upright, and the mark of fire on them, and much black and grey oak, are found in the boggy lands. In Cornero wood, on the shore of Mucknoe lake, are the ruins of an ancient castle.========================
DONAGH, a parish, in the barony of TROUGH, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, containing, with the post-towns of Glasslough and Emyvale (which are separately described), 11,068 inhabitants. This parish is supposed to derive its name from St. Dympna, the patron saint of the district, who is said to have conferred the virtue of preventing or curing almost all diseases (which many of the peasantry yet believe is retained) on the waters of the celebrated spring, Tubber-Phadric: her silver staff is in the possession of Owen Lamb, of Knockboy, near Monaghan.
In March, 1688 about 3000 of the Irish being garrisoned in the fort of Charlemont, and attempting to plunder the Protestants of the neighbourhood of Armagh, Lord Blayney had frequent skirmishes with them, in which he constantly prevailed, until the 13th of the month, when, on being informed that his castle of Monaghan was taken by the Rapparees, and that all the Protestant forces in that quarter had retreated to Glasslough, where they were closely besieged by the enemy; and hearing that Sir Arthur Rawdon had quitted Loughbrickland, of which the Irish army, under Gen. Hamilton, had taken possession, he marched to join his friends at Glasslough, where they were relieved by the valour of Matthew Anketell, Esq., a gentleman of considerable property in the neighbourhood (which is now possessed by his immediate descendant, W. Anketell, Esq., of Anketell Grove), who had collected two troops of horse and three companies of foot. The Irish, commanded by Major McKenna, with a force of 600 men, intrenched themselves in an old Danish fort, called the fort of Drumbanagher, in a commanding situation, and from this eminence kept up a heavy fire on the Protestants who advanced against them: but Mr. Anketell, who was of undaunted courage, burst into the fort, at the head of his troops, routed and pursued the enemy with considerable slaughter, but was himself slain in the hour of victory. Major McKenna and his son were both taken prisoners, and the former was destroyed, in the moment of excitement, in revenge of the death of the spirited leader of the Protestant force. The body of Mr. Anketell was interred in the aisle of Glasslough church with great solemnity, and a plain stone with an inscription has been set up to his memory.
This parish is situated on the roads from Monaghan to Belfast, and from Dublin to Londonderry, on a small river called Scamegeragh, or the "sheep ford river," (from which a small village in the neighbourhood takes its name), which is tributary to that of the Blackwater, which also intersects the parish. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 16,202 statute acres of which 242 are under water; the land is principally arable, with a small portion of pasture; there is a considerable tract of bog, with some woodland. Agriculture is much improved, under the auspices of a Farming Society, which holds its meetings at Glasslough. Besides the great lakes of Glasslough and Emy, there are two smaller ones. There are excellent quarries of marble, used for monuments and for the ornamental parts of architecture, which is largely exported to England and to the United States; freestone quarries also abound, whence large quantities, superior to Portland stone, are procured, and the great entrance to Caledon House was constructed of this stone; there is also an extensive quarry of grey basalt. The corn and flax-mills belonging to Mr. Young, called the New Mills, about 1.5 miles from Glasslough, employ about 20 persons, and at Emyvale are mills belonging to William Murdock, Esq. In addition to agricultural and other pursuits, the linen manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent. Manor courts for Castle Leslie are held on the third Saturday of each month; and petty sessions are held at Emyvale on alternate Thursdays.
The seats and demesnes are Glasslough Castle, the beautiful residence of Mrs. Leslie; Anketell Grove, of W. Anketell, Esq.; Fort Johnston, of T. Johnston, Esq.; and Castle Leslie, of C. Powell Leslie, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £465, of which £310 is payable to the bishop, and £155 to the incumbent. There is a glebe house, with a glebe of about 40 acres. The church is a plain edifice at Glasslough, built about 1775. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains chapels at Glennin and Corraghrin. There is a Presbyterian meeting-house, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class; also a small place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Five schools, supported chiefly by subscription, afford instruction to about 570 children; there are also nine private pay schools and one Sunday school.
The only remains of antiquity are the old church of Donagh, and the Danish rath of Drumbanagher, where the battle was fought. Very ancient coins have been found on the estate of Mrs. Leslie; and numerous silver ornaments, helmets of brass, steel swords, druidical relics, and Gothic figures, found in the parish, are now in the possession of the Rev. H. R. Dawson, Dean of St. Patrick's.================
DONAGHMOYNE, a parish, in the barony of FARNEY (called also, from this parish, DONAGHMOYNE), county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 2.5 miles (N. N. E.) from Carrickmacross; containing 14,070 inhabitants. It is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 25,604 statute acres of which 102 are in Lough Muckno, and 258 in the smaller lakes with which the parish is interspersed.
Nearly the whole of the land is in tillage; the soil is fertile and produces tolerably good crops, but the system of agriculture is in a very unimproved state. Limestone abounds in the southern part of the parish, and is quarried for building and for agricultural purposes; and coal has been discovered on the townland of Corlea, but has not been worked. At Thornford there is an extensive corn mill.
The principal gentlemen's seats are Longfield, the residence of J. Johnston, Esq.; Rahens, of J. Read, Esq.; Donaghmoyne, of J. Bashford, Esq.; Cabragh Lodge, of J. Boyle Kernan, Esq.; Rocksavage, of J. Plunkett, Esq.; Broomfield, of W. Henry, Esq.; Thornford, of Hamilton McMath, Esq.; and Longfield Cottage, of R. Banan, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in J. B. Kernan, Esq. The tithes amount to £1430. 15. 4., of which £476. 18. 5 is payable to the impropriator, and £953. 16. 11. to the vicar. The glebe house is a comfortable residence, with grounds containing seven acres; the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church, a neat modern structure, was erected on a site presented by Jas. Bashford, Esq., by aid of a loan of £1250 from the late Board of First Fruits.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Inniskeen and partly a benefice in itself; there are three chapels, situated respectively at Donaghmoyne, Lisdoonan, and Tapla, belonging to the parochial benefice, and one at Drumcatton belonging to the union of Inniskeen. There are schools at Lisdoonan and Donaghmoyne, supported by subscription, in which about 70 children are instructed; and 13 pay schools, in which are about 460 boys and 170 girls, also a Sunday school.
At Fincairn, in the northern part of the parish, are several large stones, supposed to be a druidical monument. On the tounland of Cabragh was formerly an abbey dependent on the abbey of Mellifont; and on the townland of Mannon are the remains of an ancient castle, or Danish fort, which, from its elevated situation, and the remains of the buildings on its summit, appears to have been a strong and very important post; it commands an extensive view of the surrounding country.============
ERRIGAL-TROUGH, a parish, partly in the barony of CLOGHER, county of TYRONE, but chiefly in that of TROUGH, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Aughnacloy, on the road to Emyvale, and on the river Blackwater; containing 9321 inhabitants. It comprises 24,792 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, of which 21,174 are in Monaghan, and 102 are under water; 21,834 acres are applotted under the tithe act. About four-fifths of the land are arable and pasture, and there is a great deal of mountain land used for grazing, and some bog on the western boundary: agriculture is improving. There is abundance of limestone and sandstone; and coal is supposed to exist in the Sleabea mountains, though it has not been worked. On the north-western confines of the parish is Lough More. A small factory for weaving linen has been recently erected here.
The gentlemen's seats are Fort Singleton, that of T. Singleton, Esq., situated in a well wooded demesne of 200 acres; Favour Royal, the handsome residence of J. Corry Moutray, Esq., erected near the site of the ancient house, which was destroyed by fire in 1823, and surrounded by a richly wooded demesne of 740 acres; and Laurel Hill, of W. H. Mayne, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the see of Clogher: the tithes amount to £400, of which £215.7.8 is payable to the bishop, and the remainder to the incumbent. The glebe house stands on a glebe of 40 acres. The church is a very neat modern structure. A handsome cruciform church, in the later English style, with a square tower at the north-east angle, was erected in the demesne of Favour Royal, in 1838, at an expense of £1000, by J. C. Moutray, Esq., who has endowed it with £50 per annum, augmented with £30 per annum by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; it is open to the public, there being no other church within three miles of Favour Royal, and is called St. Mary's, Portclare; the living is a donative, in the patronage of the founder. There is also a chapel in the eastern part of the parish.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains three chapels, one at Knockconnan, built in 1820, at an expense of £700; another on the townland of Drimbriston, built in 1823 at an expense of £500; the third, built in 1787, is in the townland of Mullyoden: the two first were erected, and the last repaired, through the exertions of the Rev. C. McDermot, the parish priest.
There is a national school at Moy; and there are three other public schools, of which one at Fort Singleton is supported by T. Singleton, Esq., who built the school- house, in which the curate of the parish performs divine service twice every Sunday. There are also four hedge, three Scriptural, and four Sunday schools.
In that portion of the parish which is in the county of
Tyrone is a remarkable place called Altadawin, where it is said that
St. Patrick assembled the first of his followers; it is a valley, 150
feet deep, through the centre of which a tongue of land of considerable
altitude extends, and on the summit stands a large rock in the form of
an altar, adjoining which is another rock, in the form of a chair. The
valley is covered with trees, and a beautiful stream runs nearly
through its centre. A royal residence of an independent prince of the
O'Nial family is reported to have stood here formerly.
from Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, pub. 1837
Thanks to Patrick Traynor of Gold Rush Country
Monaghan Front Page